I've been following The Pintester for a while, mainly because her misadventures make for hilarious reading. She regularly holds Pintester Movements, where her blog followers all choose something to make from Pinterest by a certain date and blog about their efforts. I've missed the previous ones as I couldn't make the deadlines for various reasons, but recently the Pintester announced a Christmas themed one that I just had to join in.
We were instructed to make ornaments for a Christmas tree. Specifically, the Christmas tree belonging to Jodee. I'd already pinned a few hand made ornament ideas on my Christmas Pinterest board, so I had a look through them and rejected them all. They were invariably glass, and seeing as I had to post the finished product to the US, I didn't want to risk it getting broken in transit. I began looking through some of the other options on Pinterest and settled on making something felt. Partly because it can't get broken, and partly because I already make things from felt, so I had most of the equipment. I decided to make these Christmas tree ornaments from Kirsti Koo's blog.
The first instruction for making the trees is 'cut triangles with pinking shears'. I don't have pinking shears and I'm rubbish at cutting any kind of shape freehand, so instead, I did this first:
Fold a piece of paper in half, draw a line from a point on the centre to a point on the bottom edge using a ruler (or in my case, a DVD box because I couldn't find a ruler), cut along the line, unfold it and hey presto! you have a triangle template:
I used this to cut out two triangles of green felt.
The second instruction is to cut 'rectangles from brown felt for the base of the tree'. I didn't have any brown felt so I decided to use red felt and cut a shape that might look like it was a plant pot. Now I had all my tree parts and I just needed to assemble them.
I sewed the buttons on with no problems. When I started sewing the tree pieces together though, I hit a small snag, probably because I was also watching TV and looking at things on the internet, so I wasn't completely paying attention. I'd got two thirds of the way round before I realised I'd forgotten to sew in the ribbon and pot. Attempt number two went better and I even remembered to add the stuffing. I didn't have any polyester fibre, but I did have cotton wool balls, which I pulled apart and stuffed in between the tree pieces. I think the result was pretty good:
The finished item is (hopefully) now winging its way to Jodee for her first Christmas tree. Merry Christmas Jodee!